Denise is a psychotherapist registrant of the British Psychoanalytic Council. She is a member of the Tavistock Society of Psychotherapists and of the British Psychological Society.
Denise works with adults and is based in North West and Central London. She provides open ended and time limited basis psychodynamic psychotherapy, both in English and in Portuguese.
As a British Psychoanalytic Council registrant, Denise is bound by the Council’s ethical code, which includes the preservation of confidentiality of the patient, regular clinical supervision and continuing professional development.
She has worked for many years in charitable organisations providing psychotherapy and in mental health in the National Health Service, NHS. Denise also has a background is in organisational psychology.
Currently, in addition to her private practice, Denise works in a NHS psychotherapy service in Central London.
Her qualifications and affiliations to professional bodies include:
• Doctorate level clinical training in psychodynamic psychotherapy, Tavistock & Portman NHS Foundation Trust
• British Psychoanalytical Council (BPC) registered as a professional psychotherapist
• Tavistock Society of Psychotherapists (TSP) member
• British Psychological Society (BPS) member
• Postgraduate Diploma in Psychotherapy, Tavistock & Portman NHS Foundation Trust
• Masters degree in Psychoanalytic Studies, Tavistock & Portman NHS Foundation Trust
• The Development of Psychoanalytic Theory, Tavistock & Portman NHS Foundation Trust
• Introduction to Counselling and Psychotherapy, Tavistock & Portman NHS Foundation Trust
• Conselho Regional de Psicologia (CRP/RS) (professional registration as a psychologist)
• BSc (Hons) degree in Psychology, PUCRS
Psychotherapists undertake a long and intensive programme of training to help people recognise and express feelings, thoughts and anxieties that may previously have been hidden.
Psychodynamic psychotherapy provides a safe, confidential and non-judgemental space where a trusting therapeutic relationship between patient therapist and is established with time.
The work is based on psychoanalytic principles and practice, which takes into account the place of unconscious forces in every day life. Sometimes problems have roots in early experiences, which we might not be aware of, and can have a significant impact on our lives and relationships with others. Psychotherapy facilitates reflection and the exploration of feelings and thoughts in significant moments in an individual’s life, past and present. It aims self-understanding and finding better ways of coping with difficulties, facilitating a more fulfilled life.
The initial consultation lasts for 90 minutes and it is an opportunity to talk about your reasons for coming to therapy and assess the nature of your difficulties, your concerns and give you an opportunity to ask questions.
Once you start therapy, the sessions will last for 50 minutes each.
Denise may be able to offer reduced fees for individuals with low income, subject to availability.
Denise Garcia Kalmus – Psychotherapist
MA (Psych), DipPsych, BPC (Reg), MBPsS, BSc (Honos) Psych, TSP member
Tel: 075 9129 2555