As the number of blended families continues to grow, more people are facing the unique challenges that can come with being a step-parent.
If you’re a step-parent you may have the following questions:
- How can I form a meaningful bond with my step-children?
- How can I parent someone I care deeply about, but don’t love?
- How can I parent my step-child who has negative feelings towards me and/or who seems to be trying to create a rift between me and my new partner?
- How do I deal with my partner’s ex?
- How do I best support my partner when there is acrimony between my partner and his or her ex?
Sometimes problems that already exist in your family of origin can hamper your ability to deal with issues resulting from being part of a blended family. Our therapists can give you the space to sort through any difficult feelings and help you develop strategies to resolve them.
- Anxiety and panic attacks
- Grief and loss
- Work and workplace issues
- Family relationships
- Romantic relationships
- Food issues and eating disorders
- LGBTQ+ – gender and sexual identity & orientation
- Low self-esteem and confidence
- Childhood abuse
- Parenting issues and family conflict
- Body image and dysmorphia
- Stress and feeling overwhelmed
- Feeling stuck, uninspired or lost
- Sexual anxiety
- Sexual assault and rape